A figment of imagination, no doubt, planted the seed. It blossomed into a possibility through long winter evenings of planning. It mushroomed into reality via earnest efforts of men longing for a rendezvous of physical relaxation for themselves, and an atmosphere of social enjoyment for their families.
It was the origin of Plymouth Country Club, a beginning that developed from roundtable discussion by a small group of men; a beginning that is saluted with “thanks” this year for benefits derived by club membership of half a century.
During the winter of 1911-12, this small group of men met frequently in chambers of Norristown City Hall by night to mould their plans, and traveled the countryside by day, inspecting farm sited that might be available for their purposes.
The first known positive action of these pioneer gentlemen appeared March 20.1912, on the front pages of The Daily Herald, under the heading, ‘Country Club Is Organized.” The newspaper account read: “Those interested in the proposed Country Club effected a permanent organization at a meeting held last evening in Select Council Chamber at City Hall. The board of governors chosen includes: “George H. Anders, Roy A Hatfield, Ned Irish, Horace C. Jones, C. Townley Larzelere, Matthias L. March, Joseph S. Rambo, Isaac Richards, Hon. William F. Solly, Henry E. Tripler, Harry B. Tyson, Irving P. Wanger, Frank B. Wildman and Frank B. Wonsettler.